You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Riggers’ category.

nasa-colab-vid-2-iss.jpg

ISS model in NASA CoLab’s Testbed sandbox, with HQ ring behind it and Geofrank Taurog’s Lunar building looming in the upper background.

I was one of a dozen avs who burned part or all of 4 hours inworld Wed March 19th while Earth Primbee shot footage for his 2nd CoLab machinama vid.  A big thanks to all those who responded to the Space Riggers’ call for volunteers!

The 2 minute rough cut is online, as is Earth’s previous CoLab machinama vid, NASA CoLab’s Second Life Mission, with over 36,000 50,000 hits at YouTube!

Advertisements

Space Riggers Update Status & Meeting Minutes: 23rd February

Present: Camden Mitchell, Paradox Olbers, Jet Burns, Prng Flagstaff, Silvershadow Kleene, Ariel Miranda

Updates:

  • Ariel: stocked canal with aquatic wildlife
  • Paradox: displayed ‘The Magicians’ sign at the entrance to HQ, and ‘Space Riggers’ sign.
  • Prng: provided Meeting SkyPod numbers following a hotel-style numbering system SP101-SP104 etc (where SP refers to SkyPod, the hundreds digit refers to level, and the units digit the meeting pod number). The top and bottom walkway numbers are different, i.e., in different locations, invisible from the “wrong” direction.
  • Camden: re-provided CoLab t-shirt dispenser at entrance to HQ.
  • Camden: textured the walls of Main 7, the JPL room, and
    Main 8, the room reserved for JPL’s Global Warming Display.
  • Camden: did 3 prim overlays in HQ hub, applied same floor texture (rock-geographic) but also tinted the colour to correspond to Prng’s hub entrance signs. This was due to feedback earlier in the week that HQ can be disorientating.
  • Ariel: provided ‘CoLab’ and ‘Yuri’s Night in Second Life’ branded coffee cups
  • Camden: invited Elliott into Space Riggers group (again due to failure of invite during SL grid storms) to be able to set skypods to Space Riggers group for editing.

News: 

·         Farquhar Freeloader: “Regrettably, it’s looking increasingly likely I won’t be able to devote much time to CoLab or even SL for the foreseeable future.”

·         Generous ‘move’ by Space Rigger team to “offer their assistance if needed to the YN event management”

HQ Main 3 –‘ Astrophysical Sciences/GSFC’.

http://suzaku-epo.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/suzaku-epo/newsletter/suznuz.html

  • Silvershadow Kleene is a liaison between SL and E/PO team.( Education / Public Outreach project)
  • ASD is all about multi-wavelength astronomy.
  • Purpose: to establish a “footprint” in SL specifically for the Suzaku X-ray telescope. Although; this is all estensible to all of ASD, which includes GLAST, Integral, and other more popular missions.
  • Paint a vision for Education and Public Outreach at Goddard
  • Room 3 serves as step 1 or 2 to increase traction and enthusiasm to get those who write grants to get to work.

Design Ideas fro HQ Main 3:

  • The entrance area could either be full of general, introductory materials and displays, or highlight a particular mission every 3 months or so, starting with Suzaku.
  • The room itself should highlight the areas of the invisible spectrum with some type of gradient around the top of the room showing each – radio, microwave, IR, visible (minimally), UV, x-ray, gamma ray.
  • linear like a timeline, but stacked, with wavelengths, frequencies, etc
  • gamma ray photons bouncing off the walls
  • dynamic web pages as opposed to static
  • the “Imagine the Universe” site has some interesting graphics
  • astrophysics amusement park, where a person can climb in a ball and BE a photon of their choosing. a café, (for example: visit NOAA’s Meteroa)

To do: 

  • Camden: finish texturing HQ room
    Main 6
    (once permissions on room have been re-set).
  • DaVinci: fill the spaces between HQ corridors & hub with fountains etc
  • Volunteer(?): provide aerial map of HQ including (or separate?) the Skypods at the entrance to HQ, incorporating tp buttons to each location.
  • Volunteer: provide tp buttons outside each meeting room to tp to the entrance/exit of HQ
  • Volunteer(?): provide tps to CoLab Projects. Perhaps list each project with an accompanying notecard written by a group member?
  • Volunteer(?): Provide ‘occupants’ list at entrance to HQ of rooms/skypods that are occupied and by who
  • Volunteer(?): add coffee table to HQ to dispense CoLab, & Yuri’s Night in SL coffee mugs
  • Camden: add technology (presentation screens) function script to table button
  • Ariel: finish work on upper meeting room windows
  • Camden: Provide tp/spiral staircase to balcony of Main 4
  • Volunteer (?): create CoLab HQ visitor badge
  • All Space Riggers: contribute to ‘Welcome Pack’ for new NGO’s (see ‘ideas’ section for elements)
  • Camden: create separate spacecolab.org blog on Space Riggers volunteers on hand to help NGO orientation/outfitting requests by appointment. Currently consists of Ariel & Prng on PST time, Paradox on EST (+3hours PST), Camden on GMT (+8hours PST)
  • Paradox/Charles: provide Online Indicator open source script to Space Riggers, the version currently at HQ entrance with the ability to leave a message to any Space Rigger

Ideas:(as previous meeting minutes)

Space Riggers Update Status & Meeting Minutes:

16th February

Present: Camden Mitchell, Paradox Olbers, Prng Flagstaff, Ariel Miranda, Charles Berlin

Updates:

  • Elliott/Paradox: repositioned the skypods
  • Elliott/Paradox: emptied half the skypods on each level to allow for a quick change in internal furnishings if needed
  • DaVinci: textured CoLab HQ. Blue corridor carpet, concrete corridor walls, ‘geographic rock’ texture hub floor
  • Paradox: contacted Machinamatographers groups and other SL groups, awaiting feedback. (Possible contact – Thinkerer Melville?)
  • Camden: created and displayed ‘hover text’ dispkay boards outside Sapce Riggers room 4. It provides a hover text object & information on how to edit the text.
  • Ariel: create notecard on setting object/script permissions. This is to go into a ‘Welcome pack’ for new organisations. (done – taken from SL Knowledge Base)
  • Camden: set up an example presentation screen in Main 6 with the ISM presentation screen script donated by Troy McLuhan
  • Camden: organised the Space Riggers room (Main-4) into item groupings (e.g. chairs, tables, etc) so that the room is more recognisable as the collection of items provided as the Space Rigger’s Toolbox. Also displayed informal office area on blacony area to show one example of how the extra space can be utilised
  • Camden: cleared unoccupied HQ rooms so HQ has a tidy presentation for opening week, installed Space Rigger banners featuring hover text ‘Room Available for Outfitting’ in each room and ‘Meeting Pods Available for Outfitting’ in each meeting pod
  • Elliot: replaced the ‘dozing’ poses in the Skypod meeting chairs with a more suitable pose, although the pose is for ‘armchair’ style chairs and is still temporary
  • Elliot/Paradox: positioned tp discs in HQ hub to the first floor of the Skypods, and tp’s on each level of Skypod

To do: 

  • Camden: finish texturing HQ room
    Main 6
  • DaVinci: fill the spaces between HQ corridors & hub with fountains etc
  • Paradox: talk to DaVinci & The Magicians about displaying a sign at the entrance to HQ
  • Farquhar(?): provide aerial map of HQ including (or separate?) the Skypods at the entrance to HQ, incorporating tp buttons to each location.
  • Volunteer: provide tp buttons outside each meeting room to tp to the entrance/exit of HQ
  • Farquhar(?): provide tps to CoLab Projects. Perhaps list each project with an accompanying notecard written by a group member?
  • Farquahr(?): Provide ‘occupants’ list at entrance to HQ of rooms/skypods that are occupied and by who
  • Camden: add technology (presentation screens) function script to table button
  • Ariel: finish work on upper meeting room windows
  • Ariel: finish work on stocking the canal with wildlife
  • Camden: Provide tp/spiral staircase to balcony of Main 4
  • Camden: fix CoLab t-shirt dispenser
  • Volunteer (?): create CoLab HQ visitor badge
  • All Space Riggers: contribute to ‘Welcome Pack’ for new NGO’s (see ‘ideas’ section for elements)
  • Camden: create separate spacecolab.org blog on Space Riggers volunteers on hand to help NGO orientation/outfitting requests by appointment. Currently consists of Ariel & Prng on PST time, Paradox on EST (+3hours PST),
    Camden on GMT (+8hours PST)
  • Paradox/Charles: provide Online Indicator open source script to Space Riggers, the version currently at HQ entrance with the ability to leave a message to any Space Rigger
  • Paradox/Prng: work together to provide numbers for each meting pod. System to be based on hotelier system SP 101-104, SP 201-204, SP 301-304 (where SP is SkyPod, hundreds (e.g. 100, 200, 300) is the floor, and units is the pod number. Number texture/format to match HQ numbers
  • Paradox: extend Space Rigger group membership to Elliott again so that perms for skypods can be set

Space Rigger members NGO outreach list: 

  • Ariel/Prng/Rocket: NSS
  • Ariel/Prng: Moon Society
  • Camden: The Mars Society
    U.K. / Euro-MARS Project
  • Paradox: Spacefest

Ideas:

  • ‘Space Rigger Cadets’. Create either a group or role within existing group to train up new volunteer Space Riggers. Training will ensure that future Riggers can meet the demands of organisations coming into CoLab HQ. These roles will mainly include: texturing, positioning furniture, editing scripts, understanding the requests and providing options to organisations.
  • ‘Welcome Pack’ for new NGO’s (see below)
  • Meeting room window tint can be changed to better fit with room style and on request of NGO (inside face only so as not to spoil HQ appearance from outside)
  • Layout room Main 6 of HQ (only) as a design tmplate for NGO’s. Space Riggers room, Main 4, will remain for a few weeks after the deadline as a display of the collection of Rigger ‘Toolbox’ items. All other rooms are to remain empty/as they are & become textured and filled as per request.

Welcome Pack Brainstorm:

‘Welcome Pack’ for new NGO’s. To include:

1)      List of volunteer Space Riggers who are willing to be booked to appointments by NGO’s wanting to discuss outrigging a HQ meeting room/skypod

2)      Information on what the Space Riggers are/do

3)      Information on the Space Rigger’s toolbox & Main 4

4)      Area map and tp’s (to CoLab Projects, mountains etc)

5)      Information on how to use the presentation screens6)      Kat’s newbie landmarks (Ariel currently doing)

7)      Information on CoLab Projects

8 )      weblink to https://spacecolab.wordpress.com/

9)      Troy’s Science Spots List

10)  Help Contact for problems with griefers, litterers etc11)   Room/skypod availability

12)   Current events at ISM & CoLab

13)   Well chosen freebie clothing and tp’s to suitable stores (e.g. suits for NASA reps, CoLab t-shirts)

14)   SL Groups List (science/scripting/building related)

15)   Ariel’s permissions notecard (taken from SL wiki) 

Space Rigger’s Update Status & Meeting Minutes:

8th February

Present: Camden Mitchell, Paradox Olbers, Prng Flagstaff, Ariel Miranda, Rocket Sellers

  • Prng: changed the room numers light to ‘white’.
  • Camden: edited the floor texture in room Main 6 of HQ to a blue checquerd carpet texture.
  • Elliott: positioned on of the skypods
  • Elliott: donated the scripted for the presentation cude
  • Paradox: contacted Dedric re: tech eeuipment, waiting on reply.
  • Camden/Paradox: Contacted DaVinci about he HQ corridor and hub textures, provided the textures desired.
  • Camden: blogged Space Rigger activity at spacecolab.org

To do: 

  • Paradox: contact Machinamatographers groups and other SL groups that may be interested in producing a machinama movie on Space Rigger’s activity. (Possible contact – Thinkerer Melville?)
  • Camden: finish meeting table
  • Camden: finish texturing HQ room
    Main 6
  • Camden: create ‘floating text’ information display
  • Ariel: finish work on upper meeting room windows
  • Ariel: finish work on stocking the canal with wildlife
  • Rocket: design informal/relaxed office space atop balcony or Space Rigger’s room, Main 4.
  • Camden: Provide tp/spiral staircase to balcony of Main 4
  • Volunteer (?): create CoLab HQ visitor badge.
  • Ariel: create notecard on setting object/script permissions. This is to go into a ‘Welcome pack’ for new organisations. (done – taken from SL Knowledge Base)
  • Volunteer: create ‘Welcome Pack’ for new NGO’s (for more info on the idea of the Welcome Pack talk to Ariel?)

Ideas:

  • Meeting room window tint can be changed to better fit with room style and on request of NGO (inside face only so as not to spoil HQ appearance from outside).
  • Layout room Main 6 of HQ (only) as a design tmplate for NGO’s. Space Riggers room, Main 4, will remain for a few weeks after the deadline as a display of the collection of Rigger ‘Toolbox’ items. All other rooms are to remain empty/as they are & become textured and filled as per request.
  • Sugesstion of SL machinama movie on Space Riggers to increase Rigger visibility. Paradox to work on contacting capably parties to help produce.
  • ‘Welcome Pack’ for new NGO’s

Space Riggers logo (by FF)

‘Space Riggers’

 

‘Space Riggers’ is a group that is to provide a starter outfitting service to organisations that would like a dedicated meeting/office space in the central building on CoLab HQ.

The aims of the group are to provide technical equipment such as presentation screens, meeting and conference style furniture, and to texture (decorate) the rooms according to what is desired by the individual organisations.

To do this the group has worked together to create an exhibit of different floor and wall textures, different furniture that is available, and to try and show the versatility of Second Life by customising a room which has become the Space Riggers temporary base in HQ (room 4).

In the Space Riggers room a balcony area has been added to show how extra space can be created if needed, on display are the Space Rigger diaries which are updated by individual group members and available for the public to read, and various other objects are also on display to show some of the functionality that can be incorporated into Second Life.

The Space Riggers group tries to incorporate and encourage donations that consist of open source scripting or building to add to the ‘toolbox’ that is being collated to provide to organisations.

This blog will be used to document the progress of Space Riggers, such as what the group has achieved so far since it’s inception on January 12th 2007, what group members are currently working towards, and ideas put forth by group members and the public.

Groups members include (Second Life avatar names): Camden Mitchell, Paradox Olbers, Farquhar Freeloader, Charles Berlin, Ariel Miranda, Prng Falgstaff, Ing Link, Sine Arrow, Smit Pomeray. Please feel free to comment here or contact us in Second Life.

So far:

12th January

  • Paradox Olbers created an SL group for the ‘outfitting’ task.
  • Group Name: “Space Riggers”
  • Members: Camden Mitchell, Farquhar Freeloader, Paradox Olbers , Ariel Miranda, Ing Link, Prng Flagstaff, Sine Arrow, Charles Berlin, Smit Pomery.
  • Camden: DaVinci invited into Space Rigger group to set building permissions for editing.
  • Camden: created wall & floor texture ‘vendor style’ display boards.

19th January

  • Prng: created a ‘drop box’ where items (chairs etc) can be donated by other SL residents, from which we can sort through. All these items will be available for outfitting the rooms.
  • Prng: made a “Wishing Well” in the form of a floating silver bowl for prospective clients to leave requests for furniture, textures, etc.
  • Camden: started meeting/conference table designs.
  • Camden: created equipment/furniture display board which can be added to by other group members’ snapshots.
  • Camden: Rigger Online Status Indicator list in reception area showing which members of our group are online and available for contact re: ideas, questions etc.
  • All members: Collection of furniture, displays starting to be laid out.
  • Paradox: working on enlisting help for ISS project, sub group of Space Riggers.
  • Paradox & Charles: working on displays (NASA website information pages) for around HQ.
  • Farquhar: designed Space Rigger logo.

26th January

  • Paradox: planned CoLab HQ Orientation.
  • Farquhar: created ‘Rig Logger Diaries’. Personalised diaries which pass out a single notecard apprising of rigger activity.
  • Ariel: set up Rig Logger Diaries for group members.
  • Prng: designed and placed room numbers on all meeting rooms and all accesses to the central hub (Room 1). Used a ROYGBIV color schema.
  • Prng: re-organised Space Rigger room making it neat and ordered.
  • Prng: provided room numbers for each room and hub entrances in HQ.
  • Farquhar: set up a bulletin board, currently used for Riggers to display notes to each other.
  • Charles Berlin: designed and built the walkways connecting HQ through to each meeting platform on top of the mountains. Also added ‘wildlife’ and information boards on each species.
  • Charles Berlin: designed and built the large meeting place on the largest mountain. Incorporated Farquhar’s idea on balconies overlooking the CoLab Testbed area.

2nd February

In Progress:

  • Display several example meeting room styles, using picture boards, as a basic idea for companies to then tell us what they want.
  • Create a ‘Wish List’ notecard that people can access for ideas of donations. Also create a poster style list for easy viewing.
  • DaVinci: set permissions on editing the room. Also set perms so Riggers can texture ‘ice rink’ corridors.
  • Prng: dim room number lights so they don’t affecting the display boards on the walls. Change the light to ‘white’ rather than colored.
  • Paradox: contact Dedric to discuss donation of office equipment in exchange for advertisment at HQ
  • Paradox: contact Elliott with regards to tech equipment.
  • Paradox: contact DaVinci with regards to permissions on HQ for texturing corridors & hub.
  • Ariel: stock canals with fish, corals, aquatic plants etc.
  • Ariel: work on ‘window switches’.
  • Camden: Create floating text names as oppose to table ‘name places’. Perhaps seperate lines for rl name, organisation, and country.
  • Camden: Create main page blog at spacecolab.org
  • Need someone to: create visitor badges for HQ. Gimick ones will aid advertising for HQ
  • Dragonfire Kelly: provide images of NASA badges to provide to NASA personel at HQ to help identify them to visitors.
  • All Riggers: -Concentrate drive (and donation drive) on planning meeting room/conference style furniture.-Ideas/designs for meeting areas on mountain tops, Ames building (Farquhar thought of having a balcony overlooking testbed & TP discs), path to Elon between mountains & Ames building, beaches and docks.

Ideas (to be added to):

  • Create map of building showing where rooms are located. Directional arrows around building perhaps? Also a HUD version showing where avatar is walking in comparison to the building.
  • Have a voice/touch controlled room for changing wall/floor/ceiling colour.
  • Vendor style placards for choosing textures (demo wallpaper texture chooser has been set up in the room as an example).

RSS NASA Breaking News

  • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.

RSS ISM News

  • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.