You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Yuri’s Night in SL 2007’ category.

Here are links to photos taken at the Yuri’s Night Party in SL:

Plus see the slideshow of photos that I took (embedded in my last post).

Advertisements

Well, I’ve finally caught my breath after Yuri’s Night in Second Life. It was awesome, with a fashion show, loads of space art, space videos, and over 10 hours of live music. Below are some screenshots I took – Enjoy!

.

There’s a great summary website about the whole Second Life event at http://mattlabs.net/yuri/聽

It sounds like the Yuri’s Night party at NASA Ames went really well too. NASA Watch has a nice summary.

By the way, this post is a real Web services mashup. I sent photos from SL to Snapzilla which auto-forwarded them to Flickr. Slide.com sucked them into a slideshow which WordPress then sucked into this post. 馃檪

Childs Writer wrote an article about Yuri’s Night over at SLNN.com, the Second Life News Network.聽 Check it out!

Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life Meeting Minutes 29th March, 2007

Present:
Camden Mitchell, Oliva Delvecchio, Jet Burns, Lacy217 McLuhan, Troy McLuhan, Paradox Olbers, cypress Rosewood, Rocket Sellers, Karne Soleil, Emileigh Starbrook,聽

Updates (as of 29th March):

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Paula Dix: working with SFSLQ (Starfleet Second Life Quadrant) Medical team on the Yuri Gagarin avatar.

聽聽Cypress Rosewood: organised the music schedule. It can be found on the spacecolab static page https://spacecolab.wordpress.com/yuris-night/

Cypress Rosewood: produced a music poster which will be going on display at the Yuri鈥檚 Night venue.

聽聽聽The Yuri鈥檚 Night venue construction is coming along well. Another art platform has been added (now 3) due to the latest influx of rl artwork and the SL sculptures.

聽聽聽Oliva Delvecchio: come on board the Yuri鈥檚 Night team Has helped tremendously with building, ideas, and facilitating in-world contact to support Yuri鈥檚 Night, for example with museum curators who have space related art work.

聽聽Oliva Delvecchio: posted to the SL message board a call for models and SL designers to participate in the Space Fashion element of Yuri鈥檚 Night.

聽聽Tayzia Abattoir: contacted the artists of space related work she has in her museum to inform them of Yuri鈥檚 Night and ask permission to showcase their work.

聽聽聽Emileigh Starbrook: contacted the arts Council of SL, awaiting reply

聽聽聽Camden: contacted Baba Bu who is currently doing 鈥榣ight鈥 displays at Splo, awaiting reply. To Do/ Outstanding:

聽聽聽DFK/Hellblazer55: work together to produce a 鈥榟ow to鈥 guide on streaming in to SL

聽聽聽DFK: confirmed video submissions

聽聽聽post Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life event on the SL Events List at secondlife.com/events

聽聽Rocket/Emileigh: contact D.Js who specialise in trance/techno/electric to provide music of that genre. The prerequisite is to incorporate space related music into the mix to keep with the theme of YN being space relates, rather than just a general SL party.

In Progress:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Rocket Sellers: working on a slideshow of builders in the space neighbourhood Ideas (Technical): 聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 (same as previous)

Ideas (Entertainment):

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Space Fashion open to all SL designers and models

Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life Meeting Minutes 20th March, 2007

Present: Camden Mitchell, Jet Burns, Hellblazer55 Dagger, Paula Dix, DragonFire Kelly,
Troy McLuhan, Paradox Olbers, Rocket Sellers, Karne Soleil, Emileigh Starbrook聽

Updates (as of 20th March):

  • Eloise Pasteur: Eloise Pasteur created and provided a server script for the Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life poster boards. All notecards issued from poster boards will have the most up to date notecard, which is controlled from a master notecard. New poster board sent out in a group notice.
  • Hellblazer55: generously offered to provide hosting/streaming for RL events that want to stream in to the YN in SL party. Currently orking on server load tests, server updates, security updates.
  • Paradox Olbers: acting as a point of contact & SL liaison for Cypress Rosewood whilst there are connection/rl/travel commitments
  • Dragonfire Kelly: submitted a press release about the YN in SL event to the official yurisnight.net sitehttp://www.yurisnight.net/2007/pageNews.php?p=http://www.yurisnight.net/news/2007/03/yuris-night-on-2-planets.xml
  • Troy McLuhan: created static page https://spacecolab.wordpress.com/yuris-night/ and posted event information.
  • Troy McLuhan: worked with Science School and Nanotechnology to enable YN in SL event to take place above their island corners. YN venue will now be held over the corners of ISM, Spaceport Bravo, Science School, and Nanotechnology.
  • Karne Soleil: provided YN Space Art notecard which has been incorporated into the YN poster board notecard.
  • Karne Soleil: contact a rl artist who has submitted a portrait of Yuri Gagarin.
  • Rocket Sellers: arranged with Don Davis to exhibit some public domain and copyrighted space art work at the YN in SL event.
  • Troy McLuhan: confirmed space art work by Jenika Connolly
  • Karne Soleil/Dragonfire Kelly: suggested the idea of a Yuri Gagarin avatar for the event. DFK provided a blurb.
  • Camden Mitchell: posted the Yuri Gagarin avatar blurb to 鈥榊uri鈥檚 Night in Second Life鈥, 鈥榊uri鈥檚 Night in Second Life Happenings鈥, and 鈥楽pace CoLab鈥.
  • Camden Mitchell: posted volunteer staff request to 鈥榊uri鈥檚 Night in Second Life Happenings鈥.
  • Ferd Frederix: offered his help to YN in SL.
  • Paula Dix: volunteered to help staff Yuri鈥檚 Night.
  • Robzzombie Allen: volunteered to be a member of the YN in SL 鈥楪reeter鈥 team
  • Kae Zenovka: Volunteered to host a Space Trivia event for YN in SL.
  • Performers update: Kim Seifert, and Lacy217 McLuhan鈥檚 pipe band and drum corp. confirmed as performing for Yuri鈥檚 Night. Both have been referred to Cypress Rosewood for scheduling.
  • Camden Mitchell: positioned the YN in SL platform structure above CoLab Testbed as per the agreement in the meeting held 13th March. Also set out a poster encouraging public participation in building the off shoot platforms.
  • Camden Mitchell: contacted Ameshin Yossarian on the recommendation of Bianca Darling, from ~ASpirRE! Modeling Agency~ regarding SL 鈥淪pace Fashion鈥. Ameshin Yossarian is the designer of curious kitties and makes futuristic designs. Awaiting feedback.
  • Camden Mitchell: contacted NCI for advertisement of YN in SL, provided poster board.

To Do/ Outstanding:

  • DFK/Hellblazer55: work together to produce a 鈥榟ow to鈥 guide on streaming in to SL
  • DFK: confirmed video submissions
  • Emileigh Starbrook: contact the Arts Council of SL to get them to pitch their members about space art for YN in SL.
  • Paula Dix: contacting StarFleet members involved in art, and also about creating the Yuri Gagarin avatar.
  • Rocket Sellers: to obtain movie of space fashion from
    Japan, also pictures of work, and perhaps even clothing. http://youtube.com/watch?v=HLiuVkmSaGE
  • Rocket: contact artists of Hobo
  • Camden: contact Baba Bu who is currently doing 鈥榣ight鈥 displays at Splo
  • Draft a schedule for YN (Cypress Rosewood working on performance schedule)
  • post Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life event on the SL Events List at secondlife.com/events
  • Rocket/Emileigh: contact D.Js who specialise in trance/techno/electric to provide music of that genre. The prerequisite is to incorporate space related music into the mix to keep with the theme of YN being space relates, rather than just a general SL party.

In Progress:

  • Cypress Rosewood: working on performance schedule.
  • cAllie cLine: also working on jewellery for the SL 鈥淪pace Fashion鈥 showcase.
  • Rocket Sellers: working on a slideshow of builders in the space neighbourhood

Ideas (Technical):

  • two video submissions. 1. http://www.postcardsfromthefuture.net/ (check it out, it has a trailer), and 2. a documentary called “What’s Going on UP There?” featuring several Bay Area luminaries incorporating their views on the future of space exploration and the many ways humanity may benefit from our continued and varied endeavours.

Ideas (Entertainment):

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 鈥楬ave your SL photo taken with Yuri!鈥 聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Kae Zenovka 鈥 space trivia event

Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life Meeting Minutes

6th March, 2007

Present: Camden Mitchell, Jet Burns, Lora Chadbourne, Troy McLuhan, Paradox Olbers, Rocket Sellers, Karne Soleil, Emileigh Starbrook, MonaLisa Sterling

Updates (as of 6th February):

  • Camden Mitchell: cAllie cLine has come on board to produce a 鈥楽pace Fashion鈥 showcase.
  • Camden Mitchell: updated the YN in SL poster board note card to include landmarks to the YN venue ideas platform, aside links to the host islands, a list of events, the step-by-step guide on how to join a group in SL (picture format included), and DragnWings calling card.
  • Cypress Rosewood: lining up more performers for the YN in SL event. Also working on the schedule for the performances.
  • Cypress Rosewood: to provide PR materials for SPACECRAFT, to include posters, handbills, notecards, press release etc
  • Emileigh Starbrook: volunteered to be a member of the YN in SL 鈥楪reeter鈥 team
  • Opal Lei: volunteered to be a member of the YN in SL 鈥楶romotions鈥 team
  • MonaLisa Sterling: contacted Kim Seifert, a country music performer in SL, awaiting feedback.
  • Camden Mitchell: WorldTimeZone (http://www.worldtimezone.com) have agreed to provide the image of their world time zone map as long as credit and reference is given.
  • Troy McLuhan: created a new venue design.

Outstanding/To Do:

  • Troy: contact artist friends about space related art showcase
  • Rocket: contact artists of Hobo
  • Camden: contact Baba Bu who is currently doing 鈥榣ight鈥 displays at Splo
  • Karne: produce a blurb on Art for YN in SL
  • Draft a schedule for YN (awaiting tech details and rl confirmation of events before this can be done. Cypress Rosewood working on performance schedule)
  • post Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life event on the SL Events List at secondlife.com/events
  • Rocket/Emileigh: contact D.Js who specialise in trance/techno/electric to provide music of that genre. The prerequisite is to incorporate space related music into the mix to keep with the theme of YN being space relates, rather than just a general SL party.

In Progress:

  • Same items as previous (20th February)

Ideas (Technical):

  • have a static webpage of the events being held at YN in SL which can be easily updated. Also, a central SL-based note card-giver such as that used by SLED which updates all note cards, rather than having to keep giving out new poster boards
  • two video submissions. 1. http://www.postcardsfromthefuture.net/ (check it out, it has a trailer), and 2. a documentary called “What’s Going on UP There?” featuring several Bay Area luminaries incorporating their views on the future of space exploration and the many ways humanity may benefit from our continued and varied endeavours.
  • same items as (20th February)

Ideas (Design):

  • Promotion stalls in the pods or tp arrival point for the YN SL to RL t-shirt, and SPACECRAFT promotional material.
  • Troy McLuhan: designed an improved model venue for YN. The design is much better suited for live acts to perform on (with the stage) especially since this section of YN planning has become a major factor of the event since the initial design. It contributes to the ONE PARTY feel with the large circular design, whilst still providing off-shoot pods where other events can be taking place (i.e. stalls, alternative music, arts).

Ideas (Entertainment):

  • 鈥楬ave your SL photo taken with Yuri!鈥 (Karne)

Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life Meeting Minutes 27th February, 2007

Present: Camden Mitchell, Dragonfire Kelly, Troy McLuhan, Paradox Olbers, Rocket Sellers.

Updates (as of 27th February):

  • Cypress Rosewood: one of his groups 鈥淪pacecraft鈥 will make their 1st SL performance for Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life
  • Camden Mitchell: contacted groups under the search of 鈥渟cifi and 鈥渟cience fiction鈥 to spread the word about Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life and provided a poster to help with advertising.
  • Camden Mitchell: contacted group leader of The Future to talk about a possible 鈥榓rt/sculpture showcase鈥 for Yuri鈥檚 Night.
  • Camden: Mitchell: contacted designers from http://www.ivillagegno.com/2007/01/fashion_extravaganza_during_th.php to participate in a Yuri鈥檚 Night in SL 鈥淪pace Fashion鈥 showcase.
  • Ariel Miranda:has provided Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life branded coffee mugs. These can go in our 鈥榞oodie-bag鈥
  • Camden Mitchell: created a YN in SL collection 鈥榞oodie-box鈥 where items can be collated (e.g. dances, coffee mugs etc) for the YN 鈥榞oodie-bag鈥 and event in general.
  • MonaLisa Sterling: provided dance ball which has a user friendly 鈥榯ouch to start, touch to stop鈥 functionality. This can be one of the many dance items we can provide.
  • Rocket Sellers: donated dances to the collection box, also dance bracelets
  • Camden Mitchell: contacted http://www.worldtimezone.com for the image of their world time zone map to help with scheduling YN and staffing.

Outstanding/To Do:

  • post Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life event on the SL Events List at secondlife.com/events
  • as last week (20th February)

In Progress:

  • Demo鈥檚 being produced of possible Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life venue designs, and ideas being generated from them
  • Work on producing a schedule of events and timetabling. Define whether the even will be held over 24 or 48 hour based on what rl events we have streaming in.
  • Same items as last week (20th February)

Ideas (Technical):

  • same as last week (20th February)
  • two video submissions. 1. http://www.postcardsfromthefuture.net/ (check it out, it has a trailer), and 2. a documentary called “What’s Going on UP There?” featuring several Bay Area luminaries incorporating their views on the future of space exploration and the many ways humanity may benefit from our continued and varied endeavours.

Ideas (Design):

  • 鈥淎rt/Sculpture鈥: The idea behind having an art showcase at Yuri鈥檚 Night party in Second Life is that there’s a lot of science behind big art installations, and also just to bridge the “gap” between art and science, and art and space.
  • 鈥淪pace Fashion鈥: At a Yuri鈥檚 Night party in
    L.A. a 鈥榮pace fashion鈥 show was held. Fashion is part of the arts, and as SL has many designers it would be a great opportunity to showcase their skills, as well as adding to the integration of arts with science and space. Outfits created can also be available for purchase.

Ideas (Staff):

  • Staff will be required during the event, but recruitment for staff and involvement with Yuri鈥檚 Night planning is to take place during the run up to the event to make sure they are well prepared.
  • Greeters at the tp arrival point.
  • People to hand out 鈥榊N in SL Goodie Bags鈥.
  • Different helpers positioned throughout the event.

Ideas (Entertainment):

  • same as last week (20th February)
  • work on grouping donated dance animations into similar dances (e.g. slow, head banging) and organise them into files or objects for guests, making them easier to utilise, especially for new avatars

Yuri's Night 2007 banner

Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life Meeting Minutes20th February, 2007

Present: Camden Mitchell, Jet Burns, Paradox Olbers, Troy McLuhan, Rocket Sellers.

Agenda Items: 1) Updates in general

Updates (as of 20th February):

  • Troy: displayed YN in SL posters at ISM, and the Science Center.
  • Paradox: announced Cypress Rosewood has volunteered to play live at Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life party.
  • Karne: contacted a SL architect group about advertising YN, awaiting feedback.
  • Quantum Clipper: sits on the board of YN in rl and has extended his help.

Outstanding/To Do:

  • Paradox(?): create a statement similar to the wording used by ISM to discourage R-rated behaviour at the event.
  • Camden: edit the posters to give out DragnWings calling cards to help advertise DragnWings
  • Troy/Rocket/ML: collaborate on putting dance animations together
  • All: build/resource YN clock that covers different timezones and will therefore help in organising the rl streams into SL, and also what staff hours are needed.
  • Camden: edit recruitment posters so that the handout provides a step-by-step guide on how to join the 鈥榊uri鈥檚 Night in Second Life Happenings鈥 group. This will be beneficial to new avatars, also, a visual guide will help aid international avatars whose first language isn鈥檛 English.
  • Contact list of SL groups for advertising/promoting YN in SL party: Karne – contact sl architecture groups. Camden/Rocket – contact sci-fi related groups. MonaLisa 鈥 contact music related groups? Rocket 鈥 contact SL clubs.
  • LA party participation?

In Progress:

  • ML & DFK to have 鈥榯echie鈥 meeting so that technical requirements for streaming rl events into SL can be outlined with ease when contacting/being contacted by rl interested parties.
  • Troy/Rocket/ML: collaborate on putting dance animations together
  • Camden & Rocket: work on demo of YN in SL event structure.

Ideas (Technical):

  • Owners of each sim, need to parcel off the area of the respective dance floor in order to feed the audio streams. Else, there could be a different mix of music for each quarter?
  • Have a statement similar to the wording used by ISM to discourage R-rated behaviour at the event.
  • Paradox: offered Spindrift isle for an overflow/quieter party site for Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life. 鈥1) Spindrift plans to host the overflow of rocket/probe models from the 4-Coners celebration. 2) Jimbo’s Russian rockets & he will launch some of his other non-firework rockets. *Other ISM/CoLab builders’ models 2) A tour of Cypress’s Space Music Museum. Jimbo Perhaps has a two-week exhibit of everything by him we can fit on Spindrift. Starts one week before Yuri’s. This may kick off an art and sculptor series of exhibits鈥.
  • Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life 鈥榯hank-you鈥 sign to each host sim.
  • Karne & DFK have an idea in the pipeline to design a t-shirt for the YN in SL party that will translate to a rl YN in SL t-shirt only if you attend the YN in SL party. People can go to a web portal to purchase the same t-shirt in rl to enhance the YN in SL party experience.
  • Increase the YN in SL party to a 48 hour event to take into consideration different timezones and party dates?

Ideas (Design):

  • It is important to maintain the ONE PARTY feel, and yet work on areas for more laid back 鈥榩artying鈥, different themes and perhaps music. For instance, clubs in rl often have several dance floors now.
  • Four separate tp鈥檚 (one for each island) could help ease arrival congestion for the party. It would also serve as a work around if any particular sim were to become full. Tp鈥檚 to be incorporated in poster handout.
  • Maybe a central platform with bridges/rocket rides off to four other nearby platforms (one over each sim)? Multiple platforms break up load re: draw loading. Rides, bridges & tps – should help shuffling of avatars as well as bringing more interactivity to the event. NOTE: Private sims can hold 100 avatars, in principle. Estate managers can set the max lower.
  • Although the Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life party is not about island promotion, Yuri鈥檚 Night is about public outreach, and interesting people in space related items. It may be a good opportunity to provide some information about the host sims, especially for people that have not visited before.

Ideas (Staff):

  • Staff will be required during the event, but recruitment for staff and involvement with Yuri鈥檚 Night planning is to take place during the run up to the event to make sure they are well prepared.
  • Greeters at the tp arrival point.
  • People to hand out 鈥榊N in SL Goodie Bags鈥.
  • Different helpers positioned throughout the event.

Ideas (Entertainment):

  • Goodie bags. To include 鈥 moonwalk animation from ML, poster, t-shirt, Karne鈥檚 YN SL/rl t-shirt, DragnWings calling card, links to spacecolab.org, YN official website, DragnWings website.
  • Provide dancing animations on the dance platforms, as well as a STOP all animations object.
  • Other forms of YN in SL party clothing, e.g. branded trousers, tattoos, flip titles.

Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life Meeting Minutes13th February, 2007 1pm PSTPresent:
Camden Mitchell,
Troy McLuhan, Rocket Sellers, Karne Soleil, MonaLisa Sterling

Agenda Items:

1) Advertisement 2) YN in SL staff/roles/hours 3) Tech. requirements (DFK & MLS)

Updates (as of 13th February):

  • Camden: created recruitment volunteer poster which hands out a notecard & link to the official Yuri鈥檚 Night website http://www.yurisnight.net/2007/
  • Camden: positioned YN in SL recruitment poster in CoLab HQ hub, along with DFK鈥檚 YN in SL t-shirt dispenser.
  • Paradox: positioned YN in SL party advertisement poster (created by Karne Soleil) in CoLab HQ hub.
  • MonaLisa: YN in SL advertisements going out every hour on DragnWings radio station
  • Camden: began 鈥榊N in SL鈥 blogging at http://www.spacecolab.org/

To Do:

  • Camden: edit the posters to give out DragnWings calling cards to help advertise DragnWings
  • Troy/Rocket/ML: collaborate on putting dance animations together
  • Camden & Rocket: work on demo of YN in SL event structure.
  • All: browse YN website for rl parties that have events/talks that would be great to have streamed live into SL. Collate the information & details to present at future meetings where upon the 鈥榠nvitation鈥 can be actioned (this will avoid 鈥榮olo鈥 endeavours being repeated to same rl parties).
  • All: build/resource YN clock that covers different timezones and will therefore help in organising the rl streams into SL, and also what staff hours are needed.
  • Increase the YN in SL party to a 48 hour event to take into consideration different timezones and party dates?
  • Camden: edit recruitment posters so that the handout provides a step-by-step guide on how to join the 鈥榊uri鈥檚 Night in Second Life Happenings鈥 group. This will be beneficial to new avatars, also, a visual guide will help aid international avtars whose first language isn鈥檛 English.
  • Troy: display YN in SL posters at ISM, and the Science
    Center.
  • Contact list of SL groups for advertising/promoting YN in SL party: Karne – contact sl architecture groups. Camden/Rocket – contact sci-fi related groups. MonaLisa 鈥 contact music related groups? Rocket 鈥 contact SL clubs.

Outstanding (pressing):

  • ML & DFK to have 鈥榯echie鈥 meeting so that technical requirements for streaming rl events into SL can be outlined with ease when contacting/being contacted by rl interested parties.
  • DFK: Contact Drew Frobozz about getting help to advertise YN in SL at the NCI, Help Island, and other places in SL.
  • DFK: Contact Jet Burns of JPL island to check they agree to having YN platform above a corner of their island.

Ideas (Technical):

  • Karne suggested categories of groups to promote YN in SL to would be: science, space, astronomy, digital arts, technology, intercultural/digital immersions, music, and clubs. Also, to reach out to people outside of the space/science realm to get them more excited about this genre, and encourage them to participate.
  • Los Angeles YN rl party is looking to have the Griffith Observatory & Boeing volunteers explain & give talks on space. Look to see if they will be willing to do that at the rl event as well as simultaneously being streamed into SL.
  • Karne & DFK have an idea in the pipeline to design a t-shirt for the YN in SL party that will translate to a rl YN in SL t-shirt only if you attend the YN in SL party. People can go to a web portal to purchase the same t-shirt in rl to enhance the YN in SL party experience.
  • Provide a guide on how to join the 鈥榊uri鈥檚 Night in Second Life Happenings鈥 group so that new avatars know how to join & therefore keep abreast of YN in SL developments and staff calls.

Ideas (Staff):

  • Greeters at the tp arrival point.
  • People to hand out 鈥榊N in SL Goodie Bags鈥.
  • Different helpers on each platform positioned above the 4 intersecting islands that can act as representatives to their prospective platforms, as well as provide general help.
  • Staff will be required during the event, but recruitment for staff and involvement with Yuri鈥檚 Night planning is to take place during the run up to the event to make sure they are well prepared.

Ideas (Entertainment):

  • Goodie bags. To include 鈥 moonwalk animation from ML, poster, t-shirt, Karne鈥檚 YN SL/rl t-shirt, DragnWings calling card, links to spacecolab.org, YN official website, DragnWings website,
  • Provide dancing animations on the dance platforms, as well as a STOP all animations object.
  • Other forms of YN in SL party clothing, e.g. branded trousers, tattoos, flip titles.

YN_SL_poster designed by KL

Come and celebrate Yuri鈥檚 Night with the first ever Yuri鈥檚 Night party held in Second Life!

“Let’s Go!” These were the words spoken by Russian Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin as he embarked on the historic first manned space flight on 12 April 1961. Twenty years later on 12 April 1981, the US launched the first space shuttle flight. We think that’s something worth celebrating 鈥 so we do!

Every year on April 12th Yuri’s Night is celebrated all around the world 鈥 last year there were over 90 events or parties held in over 30 countries worldwide – and 2007 looks set to be even bigger.

The range of events is as diverse as the people who hold them 鈥 even the residents of the International Space Station have been known to join in the fun! Whether in someone鈥檚 living room, a swinging nightclub or a world-class science museum, Yuri鈥檚 Night events all have one thing in common – people who are excited about space exploration and who want to join together to celebrate it.”(Yuri鈥檚 Night website: http://www.yurisnight.net/2006/index.php)

To keep up to date with information on ‘Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life’ check back here, also, join the 鈥榊uri鈥檚 Night in Second Life Happenings鈥 group in Second Life. If you would like to be involved in the development of the party help to staff the 24 hour event, please contact either Camden Mitchell or Paradox Olbers.

The developments so far & ‘YN in SL’ meeting notes:

Vision for YN in SL

  • Platform above intersection of the 4 islands (colab, ISM, jpl, uni of
    denver)
  • Live video feeds of RL parties + rl talks
  • Anousheh’s talk piped into SL
  • Differently themed dancing platforms to distribute server load
  • VIP cameo appearances
  • Welcome art installations
  • Theme of “exploring new worlds”? (and the philosophical question of what is exploration, and similarities between ‘digital’ and ‘physical’ exploration?)

Yuri鈥檚 Night in Second Life Meeting Minutes7th February, 20071pm PST
Present:

Camden Mitchell,
Troy Mcluhan, Dragonfire Kelly, MonaLisa Sterling

Agenda items:1) Concordance of meeting day. 2) Status so far. 3) Outstanding requirements

1) Concordance of meeting day.

  • It was decided that the next meeting will be held on a Tuesday (Tuesday 13th February) as members present in today鈥檚 meeting are available either Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Holding the meeting on a Tuesday may enable other volunteers to attend and contribute to the meeting.

2) Status/Updates of YN in SL as of the 7th February

  • DFK obtained the YN logo, and with which made some YN t-shirts
  • Karne Soleil designed the YN in SL poster.
  • The SL party has been added to the yurisnight.net website.
  • A 鈥榊uri鈥檚 Night in Second Life Happenings鈥 group has been created so that SL residents can join to get updates on the YN in SL party. Also, people can express their interest in helping to ‘staff’ the event through all 24 hours (+ april 13th for NASA Ames party).
  • Paradox has asked Jimbo Perhaps if he would set up his rockets and launch them during the YN in SL party, to which he has agreed 馃檪
  • MonaLisa has agreed to provide music with her radio station DragnWings (http://sc3.spacialnet.com:13742/) 馃檪 MonaLisa will be working with DFK to sort out audio/music for the event.

DragnWings Calling Card

  • ISM has agreed to YN in SL platform being above a corner of their sim (above the office docks).

To do

  • Troy: create a category on spacecolab.org for 鈥榊N in SL鈥 to be blogged there. (done)
  • DFK/Troy/MonaLisa: Flesh out the technical requirements for streaming into SL and/or via DragnWings. Once these have been worked out the details can be passed on to interested rl parties. (Basically: A YN party somewhere has a mic connected to a computer… That computer is a Windows machine running SAM and connected to the ‘net. SAM sends their feed to MonaLisa’s streaming server… which multiplexes it to multiple listeners (via the ‘net)).
  • MonaLisa: Continue to promote YN in SL on DragnWings
  • DFK: Contact Drew Frobozz about getting help to advertise YN in SL at the NCI, Help Island, and other places in SL.
  • DFK: Contact Jet Burns of JPL island to check they agree to having YN platform above a corner of their island.
  • DFK & Camden: Work on DFK鈥檚 idea for YN clothing line e.g. buttons, tattoos, floating text, other clothing with YN logos.
  • Camden: Set up url link to YN website & spacecolab.org within YN SL poster display and/or YN t-shirt dispenser.
  • Camden/Paradox: Set up poster and t-shirt dispenser in CoLab HQ
  • Camden: Blog at spacecolab.org
  • Camden(?): Design 鈥榲olunteer鈥 sign for people to help staff YN in SL. Will need a timetable of hours & roles.

3) Outstanding requirements

  • As previous weeks meeting (2nd February)
  • Promotion (blogs, yurisnight.net, secondlife.com, SL tshirts, poster, etc.)
  • Someone to coordinate the quicktime streaming
  • Platform(s) built or demo-ed, ideas generated
  • People to ‘staff’ the event through all 24 hours (+ april 13th for NASA Ames party!)

RSS NASA Breaking News

  • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.

RSS ISM News

  • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.