Aaron Rowe of Wired.com wrote an article about the CosmosCode project.  NASA Watch noted it.  Second Life was mentioned several times, as well as the Yuri’s Night party at Ames and the one in SL.

It’s official: The sim formerly known as “Space CoLab” is now “NASA CoLab”. Interestingly, my old Space CoLab landmarks still work (in SL), but SLURLS probably won’t work anymore.

“What’s in a name? that which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet;”

Photo Credit: International Rose Test Garden by Wildcat Dunny on Flickr Creative Commons.

Yuri’s Night in Second Life Meeting Minutes 29th March, 2007

Present:
Camden Mitchell, Oliva Delvecchio, Jet Burns, Lacy217 McLuhan, Troy McLuhan, Paradox Olbers, cypress Rosewood, Rocket Sellers, Karne Soleil, Emileigh Starbrook, 
 

Updates (as of 29th March):

·        Paula Dix: working with SFSLQ (Starfleet Second Life Quadrant) Medical team on the Yuri Gagarin avatar.

·  Cypress Rosewood: organised the music schedule. It can be found on the spacecolab static page https://spacecolab.wordpress.com/yuris-night/

·  Cypress Rosewood: produced a music poster which will be going on display at the Yuri’s Night venue.

·   The Yuri’s Night venue construction is coming along well. Another art platform has been added (now 3) due to the latest influx of rl artwork and the SL sculptures.

·   Oliva Delvecchio: come on board the Yuri’s Night team Has helped tremendously with building, ideas, and facilitating in-world contact to support Yuri’s Night, for example with museum curators who have space related art work.

·  Oliva Delvecchio: posted to the SL message board a call for models and SL designers to participate in the Space Fashion element of Yuri’s Night.

·  Tayzia Abattoir: contacted the artists of space related work she has in her museum to inform them of Yuri’s Night and ask permission to showcase their work.

·   Emileigh Starbrook: contacted the arts Council of SL, awaiting reply

·   Camden: contacted Baba Bu who is currently doing ‘light’ displays at Splo, awaiting reply.  To Do/ Outstanding:

·   DFK/Hellblazer55: work together to produce a ‘how to’ guide on streaming in to SL

·   DFK: confirmed video submissions

·   post Yuri’s Night in Second Life event on the SL Events List at secondlife.com/events

·  Rocket/Emileigh: contact D.Js who specialise in trance/techno/electric to provide music of that genre. The prerequisite is to incorporate space related music into the mix to keep with the theme of YN being space relates, rather than just a general SL party.

In Progress:

·        Rocket Sellers: working on a slideshow of builders in the space neighbourhood  Ideas (Technical): ·        (same as previous) 

Ideas (Entertainment):

·        Space Fashion open to all SL designers and models

MSNBC recently wrote an article on space-related activity going on in SL, including the CoLab SL project.  Check it out 🙂

Yuri’s Night in Second Life Meeting Minutes 20th March, 2007

Present: Camden Mitchell, Jet Burns, Hellblazer55 Dagger, Paula Dix, DragonFire Kelly,
Troy McLuhan, Paradox Olbers, Rocket Sellers, Karne Soleil, Emileigh Starbrook 
 

Updates (as of 20th March):

  • Eloise Pasteur: Eloise Pasteur created and provided a server script for the Yuri’s Night in Second Life poster boards. All notecards issued from poster boards will have the most up to date notecard, which is controlled from a master notecard. New poster board sent out in a group notice.
  • Hellblazer55: generously offered to provide hosting/streaming for RL events that want to stream in to the YN in SL party. Currently orking on server load tests, server updates, security updates.
  • Paradox Olbers: acting as a point of contact & SL liaison for Cypress Rosewood whilst there are connection/rl/travel commitments
  • Dragonfire Kelly: submitted a press release about the YN in SL event to the official yurisnight.net site  http://www.yurisnight.net/2007/pageNews.php?p=http://www.yurisnight.net/news/2007/03/yuris-night-on-2-planets.xml
  • Troy McLuhan: created static page https://spacecolab.wordpress.com/yuris-night/ and posted event information.
  • Troy McLuhan: worked with Science School and Nanotechnology to enable YN in SL event to take place above their island corners. YN venue will now be held over the corners of ISM, Spaceport Bravo, Science School, and Nanotechnology.
  • Karne Soleil: provided YN Space Art notecard which has been incorporated into the YN poster board notecard.
  • Karne Soleil: contact a rl artist who has submitted a portrait of Yuri Gagarin.
  • Rocket Sellers: arranged with Don Davis to exhibit some public domain and copyrighted space art work at the YN in SL event.
  • Troy McLuhan: confirmed space art work by Jenika Connolly
  • Karne Soleil/Dragonfire Kelly: suggested the idea of a Yuri Gagarin avatar for the event. DFK provided a blurb.
  • Camden Mitchell: posted the Yuri Gagarin avatar blurb to ‘Yuri’s Night in Second Life’, ‘Yuri’s Night in Second Life Happenings’, and ‘Space CoLab’.
  • Camden Mitchell: posted volunteer staff request to ‘Yuri’s Night in Second Life Happenings’.
  • Ferd Frederix: offered his help to YN in SL.
  • Paula Dix: volunteered to help staff Yuri’s Night.
  • Robzzombie Allen: volunteered to be a member of the YN in SL ‘Greeter’ team
  • Kae Zenovka: Volunteered to host a Space Trivia event for YN in SL.
  • Performers update: Kim Seifert, and Lacy217 McLuhan’s pipe band and drum corp. confirmed as performing for Yuri’s Night. Both have been referred to Cypress Rosewood for scheduling.
  • Camden Mitchell: positioned the YN in SL platform structure above CoLab Testbed as per the agreement in the meeting held 13th March. Also set out a poster encouraging public participation in building the off shoot platforms.
  • Camden Mitchell: contacted Ameshin Yossarian on the recommendation of Bianca Darling, from ~ASpirRE! Modeling Agency~ regarding SL “Space Fashion”.  Ameshin Yossarian is the designer of curious kitties and makes futuristic designs. Awaiting feedback.
  • Camden Mitchell: contacted NCI for advertisement of YN in SL, provided poster board.

To Do/ Outstanding:

  • DFK/Hellblazer55: work together to produce a ‘how to’ guide on streaming in to SL
  • DFK: confirmed video submissions
  • Emileigh Starbrook: contact the Arts Council of SL to get them to pitch their members about space art for YN in SL.
  • Paula Dix: contacting StarFleet members involved in art, and also about creating the Yuri Gagarin avatar.
  • Rocket Sellers: to obtain movie of space fashion from
    Japan, also pictures of work, and perhaps even clothing. http://youtube.com/watch?v=HLiuVkmSaGE
  • Rocket: contact artists of Hobo
  • Camden: contact Baba Bu who is currently doing ‘light’ displays at Splo
  • Draft a schedule for YN (Cypress Rosewood working on performance schedule)
  • post Yuri’s Night in Second Life event on the SL Events List at secondlife.com/events
  • Rocket/Emileigh: contact D.Js who specialise in trance/techno/electric to provide music of that genre. The prerequisite is to incorporate space related music into the mix to keep with the theme of YN being space relates, rather than just a general SL party.

In Progress:

  • Cypress Rosewood: working on performance schedule.
  • cAllie cLine: also working on jewellery for the SL “Space Fashion” showcase.
  • Rocket Sellers: working on a slideshow of builders in the space neighbourhood

Ideas (Technical):

  • two video submissions. 1. http://www.postcardsfromthefuture.net/ (check it out, it has a trailer), and 2. a documentary called “What’s Going on UP There?” featuring several Bay Area luminaries incorporating their views on the future of space exploration and the many ways humanity may benefit from our continued and varied endeavours.

Ideas (Entertainment):

·         ‘Have your SL photo taken with Yuri!’ ·         Kae Zenovka – space trivia event

Yuri’s Night in Second Life Meeting Minutes

6th March, 2007

Present: Camden Mitchell, Jet Burns, Lora Chadbourne, Troy McLuhan, Paradox Olbers, Rocket Sellers, Karne Soleil, Emileigh Starbrook, MonaLisa Sterling 

Updates (as of 6th February):

  • Camden Mitchell: cAllie cLine has come on board to produce a ‘Space Fashion’ showcase.
  • Camden Mitchell: updated the YN in SL poster board note card to include landmarks to the YN venue ideas platform, aside links to the host islands, a list of events, the step-by-step guide on how to join a group in SL (picture format included), and DragnWings calling card.
  • Cypress Rosewood: lining up more performers for the YN in SL event. Also working on the schedule for the performances.
  • Cypress Rosewood: to provide PR materials for SPACECRAFT, to include posters, handbills, notecards, press release etc
  • Emileigh Starbrook: volunteered to be a member of the YN in SL ‘Greeter’ team
  • Opal Lei: volunteered to be a member of the YN in SL ‘Promotions’ team
  • MonaLisa Sterling: contacted Kim Seifert, a country music performer in SL, awaiting feedback.
  • Camden Mitchell: WorldTimeZone (http://www.worldtimezone.com) have agreed to provide the image of their world time zone map as long as credit and reference is given.
  • Troy McLuhan: created a new venue design.

Outstanding/To Do:

  • Troy: contact artist friends about space related art showcase
  • Rocket: contact artists of Hobo
  • Camden: contact Baba Bu who is currently doing ‘light’ displays at Splo
  • Karne: produce a blurb on Art for YN in SL
  • Draft a schedule for YN (awaiting tech details and rl confirmation of events before this can be done. Cypress Rosewood working on performance schedule)
  • post Yuri’s Night in Second Life event on the SL Events List at secondlife.com/events
  • Rocket/Emileigh: contact D.Js who specialise in trance/techno/electric to provide music of that genre. The prerequisite is to incorporate space related music into the mix to keep with the theme of YN being space relates, rather than just a general SL party.

In Progress:

  • Same items as previous (20th February)

Ideas (Technical):

  • have a static webpage of the events being held at YN in SL which can be easily updated. Also, a central SL-based note card-giver such as that used by SLED which updates all note cards, rather than having to keep giving out new poster boards
  • two video submissions. 1. http://www.postcardsfromthefuture.net/ (check it out, it has a trailer), and 2. a documentary called “What’s Going on UP There?” featuring several Bay Area luminaries incorporating their views on the future of space exploration and the many ways humanity may benefit from our continued and varied endeavours.
  • same items as (20th February)

Ideas (Design):

  • Promotion stalls in the pods or tp arrival point for the YN SL to RL t-shirt, and SPACECRAFT promotional material.
  • Troy McLuhan: designed an improved model venue for YN. The design is much better suited for live acts to perform on (with the stage) especially since this section of YN planning has become a major factor of the event since the initial design. It contributes to the ONE PARTY feel with the large circular design, whilst still providing off-shoot pods where other events can be taking place (i.e. stalls, alternative music, arts).

Ideas (Entertainment):

  •  ‘Have your SL photo taken with Yuri!’ (Karne)

Yuri’s Night in Second Life Meeting Minutes 27th February, 2007

Present: Camden Mitchell, Dragonfire Kelly, Troy McLuhan, Paradox Olbers, Rocket Sellers. 

Updates (as of 27th February):

  • Cypress Rosewood: one of his groups “Spacecraft” will make their 1st SL performance for Yuri’s Night in Second Life
  • Camden Mitchell: contacted groups under the search of “scifi and “science fiction” to spread the word about Yuri’s Night in Second Life and provided a poster to help with advertising.
  • Camden Mitchell: contacted group leader of The Future to talk about a possible ‘art/sculpture showcase’ for Yuri’s Night.
  • Camden: Mitchell: contacted designers from http://www.ivillagegno.com/2007/01/fashion_extravaganza_during_th.php to participate in a Yuri’s Night in SL “Space Fashion” showcase.
  • Ariel Miranda:  has provided Yuri’s Night in Second Life branded coffee mugs. These can go in our ‘goodie-bag’
  • Camden Mitchell: created a YN in SL collection ‘goodie-box’ where items can be collated (e.g. dances, coffee mugs etc) for the YN ‘goodie-bag’ and event in general.
  • MonaLisa Sterling: provided dance ball which has a user friendly ‘touch to start, touch to stop’ functionality. This can be one of the many dance items we can provide.
  • Rocket Sellers: donated dances to the collection box, also dance bracelets
  • Camden Mitchell: contacted http://www.worldtimezone.com for the image of their world time zone map to help with scheduling YN and staffing.

Outstanding/To Do:

  • post Yuri’s Night in Second Life event on the SL Events List at secondlife.com/events
  • as last week (20th February)

In Progress:

  • Demo’s being produced of possible Yuri’s Night in Second Life venue designs, and ideas being generated from them
  • Work on producing a schedule of events and timetabling. Define whether the even will be held over 24 or 48 hour based on what rl events we have streaming in.
  • Same items as last week (20th February)

Ideas (Technical):

  • same as last week (20th February)
  • two video submissions. 1. http://www.postcardsfromthefuture.net/ (check it out, it has a trailer), and 2. a documentary called “What’s Going on UP There?” featuring several Bay Area luminaries incorporating their views on the future of space exploration and the many ways humanity may benefit from our continued and varied endeavours.

Ideas (Design):

  • “Art/Sculpture”: The idea behind having an art showcase at Yuri’s Night party in Second Life is that there’s a lot of science behind big art installations, and also just to bridge the “gap” between art and science, and art and space.
  • “Space Fashion”: At a Yuri’s Night party in
    L.A. a ‘space fashion’ show was held. Fashion is part of the arts, and as SL has many designers it would be a great opportunity to showcase their skills, as well as adding to the integration of arts with science and space. Outfits created can also be available for purchase.

 

Ideas (Staff):

  • Staff will be required during the event, but recruitment for staff and involvement with Yuri’s Night planning is to take place during the run up to the event to make sure they are well prepared.
  • Greeters at the tp arrival point.
  • People to hand out ‘YN in SL Goodie Bags’.
  • Different helpers positioned throughout the event.

Ideas (Entertainment):

  • same as last week (20th February)
  • work on grouping donated dance animations into similar dances (e.g. slow, head banging) and organise them into files or objects for guests, making them easier to utilise, especially for new avatars

Space Riggers Update Status & Meeting Minutes: 23rd February

Present: Camden Mitchell, Paradox Olbers, Jet Burns, Prng Flagstaff, Silvershadow Kleene, Ariel Miranda

Updates:

  • Ariel: stocked canal with aquatic wildlife
  • Paradox: displayed ‘The Magicians’ sign at the entrance to HQ, and ‘Space Riggers’ sign.
  • Prng: provided Meeting SkyPod numbers following a hotel-style numbering system SP101-SP104 etc (where SP refers to SkyPod, the hundreds digit refers to level, and the units digit the meeting pod number). The top and bottom walkway numbers are different, i.e., in different locations, invisible from the “wrong” direction.
  • Camden: re-provided CoLab t-shirt dispenser at entrance to HQ.
  • Camden: textured the walls of Main 7, the JPL room, and
    Main 8, the room reserved for JPL’s Global Warming Display.
  • Camden: did 3 prim overlays in HQ hub, applied same floor texture (rock-geographic) but also tinted the colour to correspond to Prng’s hub entrance signs. This was due to feedback earlier in the week that HQ can be disorientating.
  • Ariel: provided ‘CoLab’ and ‘Yuri’s Night in Second Life’ branded coffee cups
  • Camden: invited Elliott into Space Riggers group (again due to failure of invite during SL grid storms) to be able to set skypods to Space Riggers group for editing.

News: 

·         Farquhar Freeloader: “Regrettably, it’s looking increasingly likely I won’t be able to devote much time to CoLab or even SL for the foreseeable future.”

·         Generous ‘move’ by Space Rigger team to “offer their assistance if needed to the YN event management”

HQ Main 3 –‘ Astrophysical Sciences/GSFC’.

http://suzaku-epo.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/suzaku-epo/newsletter/suznuz.html

  • Silvershadow Kleene is a liaison between SL and E/PO team.( Education / Public Outreach project)
  • ASD is all about multi-wavelength astronomy.
  • Purpose: to establish a “footprint” in SL specifically for the Suzaku X-ray telescope. Although; this is all estensible to all of ASD, which includes GLAST, Integral, and other more popular missions.
  • Paint a vision for Education and Public Outreach at Goddard
  • Room 3 serves as step 1 or 2 to increase traction and enthusiasm to get those who write grants to get to work.

Design Ideas fro HQ Main 3:

  • The entrance area could either be full of general, introductory materials and displays, or highlight a particular mission every 3 months or so, starting with Suzaku.
  • The room itself should highlight the areas of the invisible spectrum with some type of gradient around the top of the room showing each – radio, microwave, IR, visible (minimally), UV, x-ray, gamma ray.
  • linear like a timeline, but stacked, with wavelengths, frequencies, etc
  • gamma ray photons bouncing off the walls
  • dynamic web pages as opposed to static
  • the “Imagine the Universe” site has some interesting graphics
  • astrophysics amusement park, where a person can climb in a ball and BE a photon of their choosing. a café, (for example: visit NOAA’s Meteroa)

To do: 

  • Camden: finish texturing HQ room
    Main 6
    (once permissions on room have been re-set).
  • DaVinci: fill the spaces between HQ corridors & hub with fountains etc
  • Volunteer(?): provide aerial map of HQ including (or separate?) the Skypods at the entrance to HQ, incorporating tp buttons to each location.
  • Volunteer: provide tp buttons outside each meeting room to tp to the entrance/exit of HQ
  • Volunteer(?): provide tps to CoLab Projects. Perhaps list each project with an accompanying notecard written by a group member?
  • Volunteer(?): Provide ‘occupants’ list at entrance to HQ of rooms/skypods that are occupied and by who
  • Volunteer(?): add coffee table to HQ to dispense CoLab, & Yuri’s Night in SL coffee mugs
  • Camden: add technology (presentation screens) function script to table button
  • Ariel: finish work on upper meeting room windows
  • Camden: Provide tp/spiral staircase to balcony of Main 4
  • Volunteer (?): create CoLab HQ visitor badge
  • All Space Riggers: contribute to ‘Welcome Pack’ for new NGO’s (see ‘ideas’ section for elements)
  • Camden: create separate spacecolab.org blog on Space Riggers volunteers on hand to help NGO orientation/outfitting requests by appointment. Currently consists of Ariel & Prng on PST time, Paradox on EST (+3hours PST), Camden on GMT (+8hours PST)
  • Paradox/Charles: provide Online Indicator open source script to Space Riggers, the version currently at HQ entrance with the ability to leave a message to any Space Rigger

Ideas:(as previous meeting minutes)

Yuri's Night 2007 banner

Yuri’s Night in Second Life Meeting Minutes20th February, 2007

Present: Camden Mitchell, Jet Burns, Paradox Olbers, Troy McLuhan, Rocket Sellers. 

Agenda Items: 1) Updates in general 

Updates (as of 20th February):

  • Troy: displayed YN in SL posters at ISM, and the Science Center.
  • Paradox: announced Cypress Rosewood has volunteered to play live at Yuri’s Night in Second Life party.
  • Karne: contacted a SL architect group about advertising YN, awaiting feedback.
  • Quantum Clipper: sits on the board of YN in rl and has extended his help.

Outstanding/To Do:

  • Paradox(?): create a statement similar to the wording used by ISM to discourage R-rated behaviour at the event.
  • Camden: edit the posters to give out DragnWings calling cards to help advertise DragnWings
  • Troy/Rocket/ML: collaborate on putting dance animations together
  • All: build/resource YN clock that covers different timezones and will therefore help in organising the rl streams into SL, and also what staff hours are needed.
  • Camden: edit recruitment posters so that the handout provides a step-by-step guide on how to join the ‘Yuri’s Night in Second Life Happenings’ group. This will be beneficial to new avatars, also, a visual guide will help aid international avatars whose first language isn’t English.
  • Contact list of SL groups for advertising/promoting YN in SL party: Karne – contact sl architecture groups. Camden/Rocket – contact sci-fi related groups. MonaLisa – contact music related groups? Rocket – contact SL clubs.
  • LA party participation?

In Progress:

  • ML & DFK to have ‘techie’ meeting so that technical requirements for streaming rl events into SL can be outlined with ease when contacting/being contacted by rl interested parties.
  • Troy/Rocket/ML: collaborate on putting dance animations together
  • Camden & Rocket: work on demo of YN in SL event structure.

Ideas (Technical):

  • Owners of each sim, need to parcel off the area of the respective dance floor in order to feed the audio streams. Else, there could be a different mix of music for each quarter?
  • Have a statement similar to the wording used by ISM to discourage R-rated behaviour at the event.
  • Paradox: offered Spindrift isle for an overflow/quieter party site for Yuri’s Night in Second Life. “1) Spindrift plans to host the overflow of rocket/probe models from the 4-Coners celebration. 2) Jimbo’s Russian rockets & he will launch some of his other non-firework rockets. *Other ISM/CoLab builders’ models 2) A tour of Cypress’s Space Music Museum. Jimbo Perhaps has a two-week exhibit of everything by him we can fit on Spindrift. Starts one week before Yuri’s. This may kick off an art and sculptor series of exhibits”.
  • Yuri’s Night in Second Life ‘thank-you’ sign to each host sim.
  • Karne & DFK have an idea in the pipeline to design a t-shirt for the YN in SL party that will translate to a rl YN in SL t-shirt only if you attend the YN in SL party. People can go to a web portal to purchase the same t-shirt in rl to enhance the YN in SL party experience.
  • Increase the YN in SL party to a 48 hour event to take into consideration different timezones and party dates?

Ideas (Design):

  • It is important to maintain the ONE PARTY feel, and yet work on areas for more laid back ‘partying’, different themes and perhaps music. For instance, clubs in rl often have several dance floors now.
  • Four separate tp’s (one for each island) could help ease arrival congestion for the party. It would also serve as a work around if any particular sim were to become full. Tp’s to be incorporated in poster handout.
  • Maybe a central platform with bridges/rocket rides off to four other nearby platforms (one over each sim)? Multiple platforms break up load re: draw loading. Rides, bridges & tps – should help shuffling of avatars as well as bringing more interactivity to the event. NOTE: Private sims can hold 100 avatars, in principle. Estate managers can set the max lower.
  • Although the Yuri’s Night in Second Life party is not about island promotion, Yuri’s Night is about public outreach, and interesting people in space related items. It may be a good opportunity to provide some information about the host sims, especially for people that have not visited before.

Ideas (Staff):

  • Staff will be required during the event, but recruitment for staff and involvement with Yuri’s Night planning is to take place during the run up to the event to make sure they are well prepared.
  • Greeters at the tp arrival point.
  • People to hand out ‘YN in SL Goodie Bags’.
  • Different helpers positioned throughout the event.

Ideas (Entertainment):

  • Goodie bags. To include – moonwalk animation from ML, poster, t-shirt, Karne’s YN SL/rl t-shirt, DragnWings calling card, links to spacecolab.org, YN official website, DragnWings website.
  • Provide dancing animations on the dance platforms, as well as a STOP all animations object.
  • Other forms of YN in SL party clothing, e.g. branded trousers, tattoos, flip titles.

NOAA’s island was unveiled at the AAAS meeting in San Francisco this weekend, and the Denver Post wrote a short article on it and other US government stuff happening in SL. It’s a little inaccurate (we dont hold meetings in an ‘auditorium’ and the planetarium is on Spaceport Alpha not CoLab) but nothing harmful, and in general its great to have press that are excited about what we’re up to.

Text of the article below….

Read the rest of this entry »

RSS NASA Breaking News

  • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.

RSS ISM News

  • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.